Thank you for inquiring about or seeking additional information about The Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) class. Below is a snapshot of the Texas mandate CHL Course Curriculum. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have additional need to do so. Our contact number is 512-731-3585.
This course provides the Texas Department of Public Safety (TxDPS) required classroom training and firearm qualification students need to obtain a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL).
To train and qualify students for submission to the Texas Concealed Handgun License qualification. Upon completion, students will have the following materials required to submit their application:
- Instruction certification for completed classroom curriculum and firearm qualification test.
- TxDPS CHL Application
- TxDPS and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) approved fingerprint cards
Notarized Affidavits- RELEASE OF RECORDS AFFIDAVIT
KNOWLEDGE OF LAWS AND ELIGIBILITY AFFIDAVIT
Michael Cargill is certified in the State of Texas and has several years of experience training others in the proper safety and use of firearms. He is an NRA Instructor as well as an NRA Recruiter. He is an active Texas State Rifle Association member and Recruiter. The CHL professionally developed curriculum uses multiple training techniques and aides to help students learn the material and retain the content.
- Basic proficiency with a handgun
- Fill out the online DPS application
CHL and CHL Renewal courses are not intended to train students how to shoot a firearm. The qualification test portion of the course is required by the State of
- 10 hours of combined classroom instructions and qualification testing.
Mandatory Range Equipment to Qualify
Come range ready with:
- Semi-automatic handgun or a revolver** (unloaded and in a box) of at least .32 caliber in good repair and have no modifications that will make the handgun less safe. STUDENTS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO BRING WEAPON or AMMUNITION into the CLASSROOM. LEAVE IT IN YOUR VEHICLE.
- Baseball Cap
- Safety Glasses Can Be Provided
- Covered Ear Protection can Be Provided
- Footwear that covers both entire feet
- One box of 50 round ammunition
NO RELOADED HANDLOADED or SURPLUS AMMUNITION ALLOWED. Use commercial ammunition only.
** Qualifying with a revolver will not allow you to carry a semi-auto. It is highly recommended you qualify with a semi-auto so you may choose to carry either a semi-auto or revolver.
Range Qualification Test Requirements (as dictated by the TxDPS)
- Total of 50 rounds fired at a B-27 target (45" high x 24" wide)
- Score of 175 out of 250 possible points (70 percentile) required to pass
- Shooting stance from the ready position where firearm is already in a position to fire
3 Yard Line - 20 Rounds
7 Yard Line - 20 Rounds
15 Yard Line - 10 Rounds
- Austin CHL Classes
- Initial Classes
- Renewal Classes
- Military/Vets Classes
- Beginner Pistol Class Information
- Beginner Pistol Classes
- Advanced Pistol Class
- Gift Certificates
- Private Security
- Level 3 Classes
- Level 3 Renewals
- CHL Class Curriculum
- CHL Class Overview
- Texas CHL FAQs
- Photo & Fingerprints
- Texas CHL Eligibility
- San Antonio CHL
- SA Initial Classes
- SA Renewal Classes
- SA Military / Veterans Classes
- Useful Links