CHL / LTC Class Curriculum
Thank you for inquiring about or seeking additional information about The Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) class. Please read about the Texas mandated CHL class curriculum. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have additional questions.
This class provides the Texas Department of Public Safety (TxDPS) required classroom training and firearm qualification students need to obtain a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL).
To train and qualify students for submission to the Texas Concealed Handgun License qualification. Upon completion, students will have the following materials required to submit their application:
- Instruction certification for completed classroom curriculum and firearm qualification test.
- TxDPS CHL Application
Michael Cargill is certified in the State of Texas and has several years of experience training others in the proper safety and use of firearms. He is an NRA Instructor as well as an NRA Recruiter. He is an active Texas State Rifle Association member and Recruiter. The CHL professionally developed curriculum uses multiple training techniques and aides to help students learn the material and retain the content.
- Basic proficiency with a handgun
- Fill out the online DPS application
CHL classes are not intended to train students how to shoot a firearm. The qualification test portion of the course is required by the State of Texas to demonstrate your ability to safely and properly handle and shoot a handgun.
- 4 to 6 hours of combined classroom instructions and qualification testing.
Mandatory Range Equipment to Qualify
Come range ready with:
- Semi-automatic handgun or a revolver** (unloaded and in a box) of at least .32 caliber in good repair and have no modifications that will make the handgun less safe. STUDENTS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO BRING WEAPON or AMMUNITION into the CLASSROOM. LEAVE IT IN YOUR VEHICLE.
- Baseball Cap
- Safety Glasses Can Be Provided
- Covered Ear Protection can Be Provided
- Footwear that covers both entire feet
- One box of 50 round ammunition
NO RELOADED, HAND LOADED, or SURPLUS AMMUNITION ALLOWED.
Use commercial ammunition only.
** You now can qualify with a revolver or a semi-auto.
Range Qualification Test Requirements (as dictated by the TxDPS)
- Total of 50 rounds fired at a B-27 target (45" high x 24" wide)
- Score of 175 out of 250 possible points (70 percentile) required to pass
- Shooting stance from the ready position where firearm is already in a position to fire
3 Yard Line - 20 Rounds
7 Yard Line - 20 Rounds
15 Yard Line - 10 Rounds
- Austin LTC Classes
- LTC / CHL Classes
- Military/Vets LTC / CHL Classes
- Legislative Update Class
- Renewal Information
- Gift Certificates
- Firearm Safety Class
- Beginner Pistol Class
- Private Class
- Private Security
- Level 2 Classes
- Level 3 Classes
- Level 3 Renewals
- Open Carry FAQs
- CHL / LTC Class Curriculum
- CHL Class Overview
- Texas LTC FAQs
- Photo & Fingerprints
- Texas LTC Eligibility
- Useful Links